Bad breath - also known under the term halitosis - is in most cases caused by bacteria that break down food rests in the mouth. Statistics indicates that well over 50% of the population suffer at least occasionally from bad breath.
There are also various other factors that may be responsible for bad breath, such as dental problems, hindered air, lack in the production of saliva, polyps, increased bacterial activity on the tongue and acid reflux.
Many people falsely believe that nothing can be done to cure bad breath, but that's not true at all. There are many things you can do to completely or almost completely reduce halitosis symptoms.
Now, for the question: What can you do yourself to cure bad breath? Three are actually many things you can do to completely get rid of bad breath or at least to greatly reduce bad breath. Let's have a look at some of the things you can do to get rid of embarrassing halitosis:
* Make sure to drink enough water. Halitosis is often caused by a lack of saliva and drinking more water will help you to stimulate the production of more saliva.
* Dental hygiene is very important. Brush your teeth after each meal - at least 3 times a day. I also recommend using dental floss to get rid of food rests that often get stuck between teeth.
* It is also a good idea to use a tongue cleaner on a regular basis. This allows you to get rid of tiny food rests and to reduce excessive bacterial activity in your mouth.
* Sugar free gum is a also a great way to stimulate the production of saliva and to avoid dry mouth.
* Do a mouth wash once or twice a day.
* Avoid drinking coffee and smoking as much as possible
These are all very simple tips and ideas that shouldn't take more than a few minutes a day. Be patient and give it a try for several weeks and I'm convinced, you will either be able to completely get rid of bad breath or at least to greatly reduce it.