NCHS Data Brief
Prevalence of Obesity Among Adults and Youth: United States, 2011–2014
Number 219, November 2015
Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
- In 2011–2014, the prevalence of obesity was just over 36% in adults and 17% in youth.
- The prevalence of obesity was higher in women (38.3%) than in men (34.3%). Among all youth, no difference was seen by sex.
- The prevalence of obesity was higher among middle-aged (40.2%) and older (37.0%) adults than younger (32.3%) adults.
- The prevalence of obesity was higher among non-Hispanic white, non-Hispanic black, and Hispanic adults and youth than among non-Hispanic Asian adults and youth.
- From 1999 through 2014, obesity prevalence increased among adults and youth. However, among youth, prevalence did not change from 2003–2004 through 2013–2014.