Women's Health Choices is all about health. We regularly publish interesting articles on health. Our site also offers a wide range of health products. Relavent articles from the New York Times, The Mayo Clinic, Natural News, National Institute Of Signs, WebMD, and Viral Health can be accessed from here.
Pulse Oximeter Helps To Lose Weight
by: Jacob Walters
Weight and obesity is one of the major health issues and problems facing our country today. With the advent of a huge portion of the population that is obese and overweight, it has risen to a state of national emergency to get the health of our nation in control. The obesity rates are even particularly high among children as well. A device now exists that can help with battling this problem of obesity and weight. A pulse oximeter is a health device that is used to measure pulse rate as well as blood oxygen saturation. So how does this device help in losing weight you ask? It is essentially a portable vital sign monitoring device that can give the individual who is exercising an instant glance to their health at any given point. So for example, let's say that you are obese and that you have decided and are determined to lose weight. You come up with an exercise regimen that requires you to jog outdoors three times a week. Well as a part of the exercise regimen you have been told to monitor your pulse rate and oxygen levels in order to see how you are improving and whether your body’s health is improving due to the exercise regiment. Previously there really was no device that offered the portability and capability of being taken everywhere you desired to go. With the advent of the new generation of portable pulse oximeter technology the individual desiring to lose weight can now take their device wherever they want to go and monitor their health at an instant.
The oximeter device in actual size was is only a fraction of the size of a typical cell phone. Thus as you can see it can be taken anywhere the individual wants to go. There are also more advanced models that actually will provide data storage capability that will record your health figures over a period of time and will allow you to judge your improving performance. These devices are known as the wrist pulse oximeters. The wrist pulse oximeter is particularly useful in that they are not only portable but they attach to the wrist via a Velcro attachment and thus you can go jogging or engage in any other physical activity with it without the fear of dropping or damaging the device. Once the device is attached to you then you begin to exercise. As you exercise the device will continuously record your heartbeat, blood oxygen levels, as well as the strength of your heartbeat. All this data is imported and recorded on the memory card of the device. Once you have exercised for a period of time then you may desire to look at your progress. You simply plug in the device into a computer and within seconds you have complete charts and graphs that outline your health figures and show you how you are improving and getting closer to reaching your goal of losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle.
Purchasing a pulse oximeter is an extremely important health decision that you make in order to better your health and your life. This is a very easy to follow guide that will make it quite clear as to what you should look for when in the market to get such a device. Although there is a myriad number of different reasons why an individual may need this device the most common is that a person would need to monitor their pulse rate as well as oxygen levels. Here is the 10 things that you should know when purchasing a pulse oximeter:
1. Determine whether you need a pulse oximeter for a child or an adult. The reason why this is important is because these devices come in different sizes that are specifically made either for an adult or a child. The size difference is key to getting accurate readings.
2. Determine whether you need a color screen monitor or a non-color digital screen. You will find that although the color screen monitors are slightly more expensive they are however much easier to use.
3. Decide whether you want disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries. The rechargeable batteries are significantly more expensive.
4. Decide whether you want a hand held pulse oximeter or a regular “pocket” variety. Typically the hand-held devices are meant for professional health care personnel.
5. Decide whether you need a device that also measures perfusion index. Perfusion index refers to the strength of the heartbeat and is sometimes required by some physicians. So its important to see if your product needs this added option.
6. Figure out if you need the product to have plethysmograph capabilities. This will actually show the movement of the pulse rate up and down.
7. See if you need a lanyard to accompany the device. The lanyard may sometimes be helpful if you are a person always on the go.
8. See if you need a carrying case that provides extra protection against drops and as well as water.
9. Find an online distributor that provides free shipping in order to get the best value for you money.
10. Find an online distributor that has a 1800 number where you can call if you have any questions or concerns. By using these 10 steps you can make the process of purchasing your medical equipment much easier and more effective. (*Disclaimer-Results for individuals can vary)